Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super bowl...and God

Yah, it's that day... and I will watch with delight and root for the Packers since my team didn't make it... (the Jets).

I'll give myself permission to stuff my face (why?) and abandon myself to the enjoyment of the game.

But, lest I forget... we sang this hymn this morning, (a morbid thought, but if this can be sung at my funeral I'll be smiling down from heaven, even if the Pastor forgets my name.)

There's so many poignant phrases in this hymn, but the one I like best is

"...thou my best thought."


To paraphrase Paul, when I think of knowing Christ, everything else is just rubbish... I went to worship this morning with a blank and bland heart and mind. I thought, "today is going to be one of those going through the motions days." And I confessed my feelings of indifference to God, along with the notion that I had more interest in football than in Him today.

And then we sang this Hymn...

I wish I could put into words the way my heart is transformed in a moment, but I can't. I wish I could put into words the way my life was transformed in a moment some 30 years ago, but I can't. You just have to know. As the hymn was sung this morning, everything was put back into perspective, and that unsurpassable joy that I only have in knowing Him filled me again.

So, I'll watch the Super bowl tonight, and, unless it's a blowout, I'll be engrossed in the game. But right now I remember again, that it's in Him that I live and breathe...now and forever. And everything else... just fluff.

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.


2 comments:

  1. How sweet, how breathtaking it is when we make that sudden and sometimes unexpected connection with the Divine. It is always beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I sang it on Sunday and swooned... those ancient Irish know how to tug at universal heart strings!

    On a milder note, I could not let today pass without letting you know that Feb. 9th is National Bagels and Lox Day!
    http://www.mahalo.com/national-bagels-and-lox-day

    ReplyDelete