Friday, February 25, 2011

Plea bargaining with my career

I forget sometimes how fortunate I am to "own" my own business.

It's amazing. I am the president and sole employee of Steven B. Blum, Ph.D., Inc. One of the annual obligations I have is to have a corporate board meeting and submit "minutes" of that meeting. (I remember this duty around this time of year, because I need to see my accountant to do my taxes, and my accountant holds me "accountable;" he always asks me if I've done the minutes from the annual meeting.) The Board of Directors of the corporation are... me (President and Treasurer), and my wife (Vice-President and Secretary). Hmmm, somehow, my wife turned over the responsibility of keeping minutes to me... WAIT A MINUTE... I thought I was President! Oh, well, don't sweat the small stuff! Since I write the minutes, it is not surprising that once again, I have been named employee of the year. But, what is surprising is that I decided this past year to cut my hours... So instead of being "open for business" at 8:00AM, I have been going to work at 9:00AM. I still work three nights a week till 7:00PM, and two nights till 5:00PM. But I get a whole extra hour every morning to sleep, walk, sleepwalk, read the paper, pray, etc.

Here's the thing...I get just as much work done, and see just as many clients each week as I did before I cut my hours. So, I'm wondering... maybe I've stumbled onto something. Perhaps every year, I should trim a few more hours off my schedule. Maybe once or twice a week for the rest of 2011, I shouldn't be "open for business" until 10AM...

That's being proactive...at that rate...by the time I'm 65, I'll only be working 3 1/2 days a week... and I'll have 3 1/2 days a week off. Who needs to retire? At seventy...two days of work a week. Eventually, I'll just show up at my office, have a cup of coffee, and go home. Priceless!

I think I will submit this proposal at the upcoming annual Board Meeting for consideration. I wonder what the Vice-President will say...

1 comment:

  1. You're onto something great! All this, and more time for bagel-making and bagel security strategizing!

    ReplyDelete