Saturday, February 12, 2011

Baking Blum's bodacious, bo-licious bagels

I did it!!!! Mix, knead, rise, rest, shape, rest, rise, boil, glaze, sprinkle toppings, bake and BAGELS!

For all those years I waited for Lincoln to open a bagel shop, I could have been baking my own! Who knew? I thought you HAD to buy them at a bagel shop.

Here is some photographic proof:

Picture one

The bagels shaped, not yet ready to boil...not yet done rising. If you look carefully, you can see a baggie of lox thawing lovingly right behind these babies.



Now, for further evidence, take a gander at:

Picture two

Some of the finished product, just minutes out of the oven... Yes, these bad boys are not just plain bagels, but some have sesame seeds, some onion flakes, along with some plain bagels. The first one I ate, still warm, with cream cheese and lox was quite a taste treat! I tried to take a cell phone picture of myself eating my bagel, but it was too scary to post; trying to photograph oneself at arms length, without being able to see the frame of the picture you are about to snap is a fool's mission! Take my word for it...the bagel was good!



If I could bake bagels, maybe I could...I could... I could do just about anything!

9 comments:

  1. oh YUMILICIOUS!!!!!!!! Boy I can almost taste 'em. Steve, I'm PROUD o' you! And thanks for trying to get into the photo. Ask Kathy to take it next time!

    Woooooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! And what a good idea on these chilly days...hot, fresh, homemade bagels! And yours look GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bagels look incredible!!! I love Selah, by the way...they do a great version of "You Raise Me Up". See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RECIPE...I find it amusing to be asked for a recipe...I'm more the "boil spaghetti noodles and pour a jar of heated Ragu over the top" kind of cook. So, I am amazed the bagels came out pretty good for a first attempt.

    I mostly followed the recipe in the video I posted on the previous post (bagels and lox). I played the video three or four times, took notes, and went to work... however, I did make a few modifications after looking up other bagel recipes.

    I added a little more sugar (maybe an extra tablespoon.)
    I covered the 12 doughballs in a container with a damp cloth towel to assist in the rising process.
    I found it easier to shape into bagels by poking a whole in the doughballs and gently pulling into a ring rather than roll them out into long "snakes."
    After boiling the bagels, I brushed them with a mixture of one raw egg and a tablespoon of water to give them a glaze. The glaze also helped retain the sesame seeds and/or onion flakes I sprinkled on the bagels before baking.
    Make sure the cookie sheet is well greased...I didn't put enough Crisco on the cookie sheet, and some of the bagels stuck...

    Let me know if any of you try your hand at making bagels. It was a surprisingly fun Saturday morning activity.

    I know a Rabbi who bakes two loaves of bread from scratch (no bread machine) every weekend. One loaf he eats himself, one loaf he gives away. He makes all kinds of breads... what a great idea. He puts a lot of love into the whole process. He says he enjoys eating the bread he's baked, but he gets just as much joy giving a loaf to someone he cares for every week. A great idea! Maybe next time I'll make a double batch of bagels and give 12 away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS FROM RECIPE PLEASE. ONE OF THIS DAYS WHEN I CAN GET MY GRAMPS TO HELP ME WE'LL TRY MAKING THEM. THEY MAY FAILED BUT IT WILL BE FUN TRYING. THEIR WAY TO MUCH$$$$$$$$$$4IN THE STORES.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve! You're a culinary hero! I have a question...What kind of yeast did you use exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm no hero... I was walking by the kitchen and I heard a muffled scream from the flour bag... then a faint cry... "knead me, knead me...boil me, bake me" and I just did what I had to do.

    It was fast rising instant yeast... there's the hero!

    ReplyDelete