Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oatmeal volcano on the prairie

My oatmeal boiled over
in the microwave this morning, creating
a cement like substance which fused with the
paper towel beneath the bowl.
There's a name for that...decoupage.
In addition, there is now a permanent coating on the outside of the bowl
with a slightly bumpy
and gritty texture.
This is good...
The bowl will no longer slip from my hands,
and the rough feel triggers from deep within
a collective unconscious memory of cowboy breakfasts
on the wind swept prairie.
Ah, those days...
The smell of burnt coffee, the dented tin cup,
the whistling of a lonely cowboy refrain.

4 comments:

  1. Were I not eyeballs deep in preparing for a rare meal with friends - me, cooking! - I'd comment more on the 'whistling of a lonely cowboy refrain' or perhaps explore the meaning of turning exploded oatmeal into poetry. Or say, "Steve. Microwaves are B-A-A-A-A-A-D news!" Actually, I must.... . I cannot remain silent! Even though that was a pretty, um, interesting visual.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naughty google doesn't LIKE my url. Let's see if I can sneak it in here...

    http://www.naturalnews.com/022015.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your lighthearted posts. Above anything else, these prove that you really have healed, in body, heart and spirit. What a wonderful thing to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the Quaker's sneaky way of encouraging you to bake more bagels and make more poems!

    ReplyDelete