Tuesday, April 26, 2011

life flows on...

"...life flows on within you and without you"

All right, I need to get this Beatle stuff out of my system and then move on. George Harrison. I believe he was a "seeker" and that is why I am fond of him. I believe that John was more into the peace movement, i.e. "Give peace a chance," and I think that is why I liked him. I think George was looking within, and looking for some spiritual truth, or else just simply striving to be more loving in relationships. But what do I know... I am basing this on nothing but the lyrics to their songs. Maybe they were totally different than my perceptions. (I don't think so.)

Here is a George Harrison song that flew under the radar, as his music often did. While John was doing "Strawberry Fields Forever," a brilliant piece of music, and Paul was doing "Penny Lane" (not bad as far as Paul's songs went) George was doing this... of course, it didn't get the airplay that either John or Paul got with their songs.

Just listen to the first minute or so... it makes me happy to hear this music. Way more interesting than any love song Paul ever wrote, me thinks... I've read that this was a love song to Patti Boyd... who am I to disagree...maybe it was, especially the last line about "your long blond hair and your eyes of blue," but I think George was seeking something much deeper than long blond hair and blue eyes!


Here is another George song that ignited a spark in me... while I was sitting in my dorm room reading Ram Dass "Be Here Now" and listening to this, and getting high.. it just opened me up... my spiritual journey was beginning... I never expected it would eventually lead me to Jesus, but I believe He was at work in me even then, slowly bringing me to a place where this Jewish agnostic hippie wannabe could receive Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment