Friday, October 22, 2010

sometimes when the night is dying

wow...that sounds heavy...but it doesn't have to be that way...

One of the many joys of this time of year is being able to go for a morning walk while it is still dark out without having to get up too early.  Walking while the sun comes up on a brisk autumn day....ahh.... Soon, turning the clocks back makes that more difficult, as does the colder weather.  But, I have enjoyed a few good autumn morning walks...I try these days to revel in these little joys.

There is something of beauty and mystery to capture all the time... sometimes when the night is dying...the morning is being born.   Yes?   The leaves, the leaves.   How many memories I can associate with falling leaves...burning them on the street ( a bygone era), diving into huge piles of them, watching my dog run through them, raking for hours and hours, usung tarps, leaf catchers, armloads, fighting losing battles with gusts of wind.

OK, music lovers... what song does this line come from?  Don't cheat...

"Sometimes when the night is dying, I take me out and I wander around..."

3 comments:

  1. Sugar Magnolia. :) I've always found Autumn to be the most magical time of the year, when the bird calls give way to geese honks flying south, and the summer breezes turn to the rustle of dry leaves skittering down the sidewalk. Thank you for reminding me how lovely it is to walk in the silence and dark of the morning. Early evening is good too, by the way, watching the colours of the sunset.

    The true joy is in actually noticing all of it and not just letting it pass by unappreciated. Every moment is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you talked me into it. I'm going for a walk, even though it's neither morning nor sunny. It's simply time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, didn't seriously think you were going to fool any old deadheads following your blog, did you?...is most definitely 'Sugar Magnolia'...hopefully the version from the American Beauty album. Thanks for sharing your insight on the wonders with which we are presented at this time of year...bg

    ReplyDelete