Tuesday, September 7, 2010

my thank yous

I had my birthday adventure #2 - I fell far short of my expectations in two ways.  First, I made a list of "thank you" recipients who had reached out to me while going through my cancer hell, and the number was closer to 50 than 100. The flood of cards, e-mails, calls, visits,  and blog comments I received in the past year was so powerful, it felt like 100 or so people, but alas, I am not as popular as I thought.  Unfortunately, none of the anonymous encouragers on my last blog responded with e-mails, so I couldn't thank any. It appears to me that very few followed me here to this blog.  I don't know if that's good or bad, but I have to be careful or else I'll start feeling this is some sort of performance issue that I am failing.  Anyway, with my list of 50, it took me most all day to write 30 thank you's.   So I am not yet done.  

What did I learn from my birthday adventure?   To properly appreciate the blessings received from others is a time consuming task.  Worthwhile, but time consuming.  A passing "thank you" is important, brief, and easy, but  a passing "thank you" doesn't reflect the weight of my gratitude.   People often respond with an awkward dismissal of a thank you ("you don't have to thank me...that's not necessary...it was nothing, etc.") but honestly, being more appreciative and grateful is something I need to do...it's something I want to change in myself. It's about living more consistently with my values...to live with a heart full of thanksgiving...and to openly express it.   

I have a ways to go in this, but my birthday adventure was meaningful and worth my time. 
And if anyone is reading this (expecially the one or two of you who have posted anonymous comments on this blog,  thank you for taking the time to follow, read, and post.  As was true with the "Deeper than Cancer" blog, the anonymous posts have been remarkable, encouraging and thought provoking. Just terrific...and much appreciated.  And thanks to others who read and do not post.  Thanks for taking time to read these ramblings. God bless you!

3 comments:

  1. Blessings to you! Your heartfelt thank you was a wonderful thing, and a good reminder that we should ALL be thankful for the blessings that come our way every day. One might think of them as commonplace, but if really thought about, everything is remarkable.

    And thank you again for your blog. It is thought-provoking and interesting. Thanks, too, for allowing us to accompany you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to much of what you shared here, Steve.... from the "where are they?" musings in response to dwindling comments to KNOWING a next step... for you, the generosity of your expressed gratitude.

    Thank YOU is all I can think of adding to this right now. THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got your thank you. I LOVED the poem on kindness...it was truly beautiful. We appreciate the note; mostly we are so very, very thankful to Our Lord for your recovery and to you for sharing the struggle and God's grace's in the midst of it. Blessings!
    M & M

    ReplyDelete