Tuesday, December 28, 2010

New Year's makes us nostalgic

Why is that...is it the whole Auld Lang Syne business? Why not look forward? Well, it's an inescapable fact that we must get through that sticky nostalgia and move on. I am quite looking forward to another better year...2010 certainly beat 2009 for me, but I have yet a ways to go to get all that pre-cancer vim and vigor back... I plan on achieving some of that before age catches up with me and slows me down yet again...hey...I did 20 minutes on the elliptical this morning and lifted weights yesterday. That's more exercise than I consciously and intentionally did in all of 1969!

So if we must be nostalgic...speaking of 1969...the kid playing the drum solo about three minutes into this video is 20 years old...and of course, Carlos and the whole band...amazing! I was 18 years old at the time Santana played this in '69...and feeling every note of this song in wondrous awe. (When the movie and album appeared shortly after the concert...it felt like we were all there, even though we missed it live...everyone was either playing air guitar along with Carlos or banging on the table or desk! Everyone!) Imagine... 40 years have gone by. Impossible...but then...when I listen in the right frame of mind...I am right back there still feeling it all!

So, let's drink a cup of kindness...and be thankful for everything that was, is, and is yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment