Monday, December 20, 2010

advent

Ahhh...the waiting...today (Tuesday) I had my check with the ENT after having some throat pain for several weeks.

There was an incredible lesson for me to learn this morning. As I was driving to Omaha, the sun was coming up (my appointment was at 8AM). As I drove on the interstate, I looked to the left and I saw a beautiful large full moon...I looked to my right and I saw a beautiful sunrise. SIMULTANEOULSLY! It was truly breathtaking. It was one of those...wow...kinds of experiences. But here's the lesson...and I knew exactly what was happening as it was happening. I missed the WOW of the moment I was living because I was ruminating about the exam results and what would happen if the news was bad. Sure, that's understandable. But, for crying out loud, how many times do we get to enjoy the sunrise and a beautiful full moon simultaneously on a wide open plain. OK...I know the end of the story... I'll die...and I'll dwell with God forever. I suppose the least I could do is appreciate, enjoy and be grateful about this breath of time between now and then (the waiting?) to it's fullest.

LESSON FOR STEVEN: Everything. is. as. it. should. be.... all. shall. be. well. and. all. shall. be. well. and. all. manner. of. things. shall. be. well. DO I GET IT, YET? I think it's sinking in!

Everything checked out OK and the pain was likely due to swelling in a salivary gland that doesn't function as it should anymore after being decimated by radiation. Not anything to worry about...and they see no need for me to return for four months. I thank God.

Advent is taking on new significance to me... we are all waiting, sometimes we wait well, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we trust God, sometimes we take matters into our own hands. But no one escapes. Now, for the next few days, I can be in the moment... resting in this Advent season of anticipation. The silent still moment that unfolds before an extraordinary event. It is where we live our lives... and here is a beautiful quote...


“In the silence of a midwinter dusk, there is far off in the deeps of it somewhere a sound so faint that for all you can tell it may be only the sound of the silence itself. You hold your breath to listen. . . You are aware of the beating of your heart…

The extraordinary thing that is about to happen is matched only by the extraordinary moment just before it happens. Advent is the name of that moment.”

Frederick Buechner

4 comments:

  1. This is that season when the whole world hushes, holding its breath and waiting. May the Holiday bless you and help you prepare for a new year of joy and ever-increasing health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, thanks for sharing your good news, and also for sharing an appreciation of the all-important moment before. As the song says, "Hallelujah!"--Peg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Multiple WOWs, nods and hallelujahs for YOUR post, YOUR news and that magnificent closing quote that I might steal for my own uses.....! It's December 22nd. Waiting....

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW IS A WONDERFUL WORD.JUST FULL OF EXCITEMENT FOR WHATEVER WOW FACTURE YOU MIGHT HAVE AT THE TIME. MINE WAS A FEW YEARS AGO AS WE WE'RE ARRIVING INTO SYRACUSE [DRIVING FROM FLORIDA] AND I HAPPEN TO LOOK OVER TO THE WESTERN SKY. IT WAS JUST BEFORE SUNSET. ANYWAYS,IN THE SKY WAS A PERFECT CROSS. MADE BY A PLANE OR MAYBE JUST A CLOUD.WHATEVER. I NEEDED THAT SIGN BECAUSE WE WOULD BE SPENDING THE SUMMER THERE SO I COULD BE CLOSE TO MY OLDEST FAVORITE BROTHER. HE HAD TERMINAL CANCER.[BOWEL] I ALWAY HAD A THING WITH RAINBOWS ALSO. EVERYTIME WHEN I NEEDED TO HEAR FROM JESUS A RAINBOW WOULD COME UP IN THE SKY. SO WOW, WOW, WOW. ISN'T IT WONDERFUL THAT US CHRISTIAN CAN HAVE A WOW FACTOR AND KNOW WHAT IT MEANS.
    I WISH YOU WELL.

    GRANNY FROM FLORIDA

    ReplyDelete