Saturday, November 27, 2010

the art of disappearing

I am relishing this four day weekend as if I've never had one. I ate Thanksgiving dinner with the goal of eating so much that I would feel sick, and by golly, I met my goal. I raked leaves today and raked and raked and it was good for my soul. I am in tight with the trees in my yard; they watched as I cleaned up their mess. They did their job, I did mine. It is very important to be near trees. They ground us, they provide stability when life is swirling; they are nourishing just by being there. I sat outside while the sun went down. I did NOT go into any stores. I watched football, and it was most satisfying to see Nebraska beat Colorado for the last time before joining the Big 10 next year.

Here is a poem about being intentional about what we do with our time and who we spend it with. I like Naomi Shihab Nye; I really mean it. Here she is reading. You can see kindness in her eyes and hear it in her voice (yes, she wrote the poem, Kindness, that I am so fond of.)

I am not completely healthy, and I am not completely free of anxiety about the future, but today I am doing a relatively good job about living in the moment. Sometimes it's just all good enough!

2 comments:

  1. Blessings are where we find them. There is no day so terrible that one cannot find blessings, whether family, friends, a cat curled in the lap or communing with trees. Glad you had a chance to stretch your limits and find the blessings of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is marvelous. Thank you, Steve - and Naomi.

    ReplyDelete